Medicinally, this recipe is beneficial for those with lung conditions, a cough, sore throat or constipation.
It has a moistening and lubricating effect, particularly in the lungs and intestines.
For those with poor digestion, bloating etc, this is not one to overindulge in. Not recommended for those recovering from illness.
½ cup/2 tablespoons freshly ground flaxseed meal
¼ cup/1 tablespoon carob powder
¼ cup/1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
½ cup/2 tablespoons almond butter
½ cup/2 tablespoons raw honey
1 teaspoon miso, preferably unpasteurised, the lighter the colour, the sweeter the flavour.
½ cup/2 tablespoons extra coconut to roll the balls in
* Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
* Roll into bite size balls and then roll in the extra coconut.
* Consume freshly prepared or refrigerate.
* Any variety of nut or seed butters could be used in place of the almond butter. For example: - cashew, brazil or tahini.
* Replace the ½ cup flax with ¼ cup flax and ¼ cup freshly ground almond, sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
* If salicylates are an issue, the almond butter can be replaced with cashew butter, the honey replaced with maple syrup or rice syrup and the miso omitted.
* The miso could be replaced with tekka (condiment made from burdock, lotus root, ginger and carrot.) Tekka is useful to build the blood, strengthen kidney function, aid in circulation and is used in the treatment of pulmonary diseases, rheumatism, arthritis and skin diseases. Available from health food stores.