The following describes the properties of the main ingredients of Carob Lamington Balls.
Therapeutic properties of almonds:
• Almonds are the only alkaline forming nut.
• May assist to alleviate heartburn and are recommended during the latter stages of pregnancy for this condition. Only 3 – 8 need be consumed daily.
• Useful for coughs, flatulence and to reduce cholesterol.
• Demulcent and emollient.
• In Ayurveda almonds are considered the best nut to build the ojas – spirituality and overall health.
• Transforms phlegm, alleviates a cough and lubricates the intestines.
Contraindications: - almonds are not suitable in large quantities for those with sluggish digestion, bloating, excess weight or oedema.
Improving digestibility: - almond butter is considerably more difficult to digest than whole, well chewed almonds. Be careful with purchasing almond meal as it has a very short shelf life, make fresh if possible. To increase the digestibility of almonds, soak overnight, toss the soak water then dry out till crunchy in a food dehydrator or oven on less than 50 degrees Celsius.
Energetic properties of almonds: slightly warming thermal nature, sweet flavour, relieves stagnant Qi energy of the lungs.
Therapeutic properties of carob powder:
• Conditions the bowel, useful in treating coughs and diarrhoea.
• Carob powder is the perfect replacement for cocoa powder. This being the case, perhaps its most therapeutic properties are that it does not contain the caffeine or oxalic acid of chocolate. (Oxalic acid inhibits the absorption or iron and calcium.) Unlike chocolates bitter flavour that requires an additional sweetener of some kind, carob has a naturally sweet flavour and can itself be used to sweeten other foods.
• Carob is a rich source of calcium and is about 80% protein.
Energetic property of carob powder: sweet.
Therapeutic properties of coconut:
• Useful for weakness, emaciation, nosebleed and childhood malnutrition.
• Dependant on the cause may be beneficial in the healing of eczema, digestive and bowel problems.
Coconuts are one of the richest sources of lauric acid. In the small intestine, lauric acid converts to monolaurin - a powerful yet safe antimicrobial substance that has antiviral, anti fungal, anti pathogenic and anti microbial properties. For these reasons it is valuable in treating Aids, HIV, Measles, Influenza, Listeria, Herpes and Thrush/Candida. Nutritionist Stephen Byrnes believes that lauric acid is one of the keys to protecting a baby’s intestines from bacterial, protozoal, viral and fungal infections until the baby’s immune system is mature enough to take over this function. It is not surprising that the only source of food richer in lauric acid than coconut is breast milk! Volumes have been written about the medicinal benefits of coconut. For further details visit:
Energetic properties of coconut: warming thermal nature, sweet flavour, strengthening, tonifies the heart.
Therapeutic properties of honey:
• When unheated/raw, honey contains an abundance of enzymes, antiseptic, antibacterial and medicinal qualities.
• Assists in the digestion of carbohydrates.
• Contains many trace nutrients and does not upset blood sugar levels as severely as refined sugar.
• In addition to its stand-alone merits, honey is also a transporter of nutrients and aids the body’s ability to properly absorb and assimilate nutrients.
• Honey is useful in treating stomach ulcers, sinusitis, high blood pressure, oedema and its lubricating ability assists with a dry cough and with constipation.
• In small quantities only - it can dry up mucus (excess will exacerbate.)
• Can be applied directly to burns dependant on the cause and the depth.
• Honey may also assist with alcoholism and as it is an analgesic – it can assist menstrual pain.
Energetic properties of honey: sweet, neutral.
Therapeutic properties of miso:
• Aids in digestion and assimilation of foods, restoration of healthy intestinal flora.
• Assists the body to create a more alkaline condition in the body and consequently lifts the body’s resistance to disease.
• Traditionally miso was consumed to promote long life and good health.
• Prevents radiation sickness, neutralises some of the effects of smoking and air pollution.
• Has been used to treat heart disease and cancer. Helps break down and discharge excess cholesterol. (Low cholesterol is more of a concern than high cholesterol.)
• Soy has been touted to contain many health enhancing properties. However there are serious health problems that can occur when consuming soy in its most commonly marketed forms – soy protein isolate, soy baby formula, soy powder etc. Miso – when purchasing it as a non-gmo, naturally fermented product; is a safe way to consume soy and to enjoy the nutritional benefits, without the negatives.
Energetic properties of miso: salty, cooling.