Real Foods List
Food that follows Nourishing Traditions, ie whole from nature.
Qld, Brisbane, Gold and Sunshine Coast
The list is constantly growing. Most products are available from the stockists listed at the end, unless otherwise stated. If you know of any further products or retail outlets that could be added to this list, please contact me.
Information sources for real food
Group of Brisbane holistic practitioners who focus on healthy conception, birth, babies and children.
Brisbane non-profit group promoting organics and eco friendly living.
Promotes the importance of nourishing our soils, plants, animals and people. It partners with and supports other like-minded organisations.
Food wisdom and chat group.
Dr Weston Price forum and chat group
to join email - email@example.com
Campaign for Real Milk to be legal and easily available in Australia.
Information, research and practical advice for returning nutrient-dense foods to family diets, based on the research of Dr Weston A Price.
Price Pottenger Nutrition Foundation. An archive resource of Dr Price and other classic nutritional researchers.
Global community supporting local, sustainable, traditional foods and education.
Real Food stockists and availability
Avocado Oil: Natural low SPF alternative to commercial sunscreen.
Beer: Coopers make five naturally conditioned (unpasteurised) ales available in bottles: Pale, Sparkling, Dark, Vintage and Stout. Their cans however are artificially carbonated and pasteurised – as are most other beers in Australia (Information from Frank Akers at the Coopers Brewery). Of all the styles, dark, vintage/special old and stout are the most nutritious, also good sources of B vitamins and chromium (more tasty than brewers yeast).
Bread: select a sourdough. There are many brands now available, here are some: -
· King Henry Rye and Bill’s bread – selected Coles supermarkets
· Celtic Bakery: 12 Alicia Street Southport, also distributed through health food stores
· Wuppertaler: Organic and Quality Foods home delivered
· Sol Bread: Vulture St, West End, also health food stores
Avoid the ‘pretend’ sourdough ie Helgas
Coconut Milk/Cream: An organic brand, or in the supermarket - Ayam brand is best, next best is Trident.
Cold Pressed Organic Coconut Oil:
· My favourite is the NUI brand www.africanpacific.com
· Aclara, Ahimsa, Nature Pacific, Spiral and many other brands are now available from health food stores.
- Dairy -
· Cultured Butter, Cheese, Buttermilk: ‘Gympie farm’ Ph: 07 5435 0487. See Camille at the following markets – Powerhouse 2nd 4th Sat, West End every Sat.
· Cultured butter from the supermarket - Western Star in the foil (not the easy spread version).
· Gympie farm cheese See butter above (Camille 07 5435 0487).
· Hard Italian cheeses ie Reggiano parmesan are made from raw milk. Available from Plenty Deli (Eight Mile Plains), New Farm Deli (New Farm & Mt Gravatt), Toginini and other quality deli’s.
· Cultures to make your own cheese www.cheeselinks.com.au
· Goat - Even’s Star and others available home delivered or health food stores.
· Cow – Brisbane customers of Food Connect can access Warradale Organic milk, enquire for details.
· Cow - Cleopatra’s Bath Milk health food stores and home delivered.
· Buttermilk – gympie farm and cheese – powerhouse markets.
Non-homogenised organic milk.
· Barambah organic milk, 32776444. Available home delivered in some areas, selected deli’s and the Northey St Markets and Powerhouse Markets www.barambahorganics.com.au
· Choose one labeled as ‘non-homogenised’. For example: - Paris Creek and Marook Farm (my favourites), Barambah, Hakea, Gippsland, Alpine, Meridith. Others available at stockists below. Or of course, make your own from quality real milk.
· Kombucha: To purchase a ‘mother’ to make your own kombucha and for recipe details, phone Harald Tietze (02) 64934552 in Bermagui South NSW.
· Grainfields: call AGM Foods for local stockists 33962866 www.agmfoods.com
Kefir: For free kefir starter culture, contacts in your area www.rejoiceinlife.com/kefir/kefirlist.php please note, details may have changed since listing at this site. Also available from Judy Williams email: firstname.lastname@example.org ph: 3262-6043 (clayfield) or Abby Eagle 55764270 (Palm Beach)
Ginger Beer: Red Dragon Inn (02) 66246900. Certified organic and naturally brewed using wild yeast. Ginger Nectar Company Byron Bay www.gingernecktar.com Ph (02) 6680-9433
Whole Sugar: Rapadura, Sucanat or Billingtons. Billingtons has a wide range available - the ‘dark molasses’ sugar is the most nutritious, though a little heavy for many recipes. The ‘muscovado’ is the replacement for recipes stating Rapadura sugar. Available from selected health food stores and delicatessens.
Salmon: www.vitalchoice.com.au (avoid farmed salmon)
Wine: organic or preservative-free wine - www.organicwine.com.au, www.settlersridge.com.au, www.ova.com.au, www.thistlehill.com.au, www.organicfarms.com.au, www.organic1.com.au, www.freshorganics.com.au/wwines/index.htm
Brisbane - Health food stores, products, organic fruit and vegetables
· Biome: cnr Latrobe and Given Tce 3368 1855 www.biome.com.au
· Brewbakers Boutique Bakery: Richard Cotton, Sandgate Rd Albion (next door to Red Rooster).
· Fundamentals: La Trobe Terrace, Paddington 3368 1855 www.fundies.com.au
· Four Seasons: 42 Main St, Samford, 3289 1087
· Go Vita Margate Health & Organics: Oxley Ave Margate, Redcliffe Peninsula. 07 3283 8677
· Greener Pastures Wholefood: 18 Wynne St Sunnybank Hills 3344 7889
· Hi Vita Organics: 17 Bald Hills Rd, Bald Hills 3261 7855 www.hivitaorganics.com.au
· House of Organics: Deb & Janelle, Northwest Plaza, 97 Flockton Street, Everton Park 33538541
· Margate Health Foods: Lesley Parker, 273a Oxley Ave Margate Beach 4019
· Mrs Flannery’s: 52 Annerley Rd Woolloongabba, Rode Rd Nundah, 191 Moggil Rd Taringa
· Organic Essentials: 11 Days Road, Grange 3856 0678
· Poppy’s Organic Food Store: 14 Baroona Rd Milton 38765381
· RB’s Organics: home delivery service to those living north of the river, west of Gympie Rd and selected other suburbs. Robin Brown, 33568676 email@example.com
· Sol Bread: Cnr Hardgrave and Vulture Sts West End. Sourdough breads, pastries, coffee shop.
· Sun & Earth Whole Foods: 845 Brunswick St, New Farm 3358 2299, Wynnum plaza 33934955
· The Green Grocer: 144 Boundary Street, West End 38447961
· Vive: 36 Riding Rd Hawthorne www.vivemarket.com.au 33991002
· Wray Organic: 110 Enoggera Rd, Newmarket 3356 0444 www.wrayorganic.com.au
Organic Home Delivery
· Food Connect: CSA community supported agriculture www.foodconnect.com.au
· Organic and Quality Foods: SE QLD incl. Brisbane and both coasts 32753552
· Totally Organic: www.totallyorganic.com
· Wholesome Organics: Vic. Point/Redlands 38206961 firstname.lastname@example.org
Books & DVD’s
· Nourishing Traditions: Sally Fallon, 3 x DVD set of Sally Fallon’s seminars, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: Weston Price, Cholesterol Myths, The Fourfold Path to Healing, The Untold Story of Milk, The Yoga of Eating, Available from Julie Phillips / Wise Food Education Contact Enquiry
· CD’s: - Sally Fallon and other alternate health seminars Ph: Philip Higson (07) 33114646
· Fundamentals: Whole food café, open for breakfast and lunch. La Trobe Tce Paddington.
· Mondo Organics: Also produce organic frozen meals for takeaway, including stock. Hardgrave Rd West End.
· Organic Kitchen of Ascot: Shop 3, 68 Racecourse Road, Ascot
· The Forest Café: 124 Boundary St, West End www.theforest.com.au
· The Green Oven: 28 Samford Rd, Alderley 33527225
· Wray Organic: 110 Enoggera Rd, Newmarket 3356 0444 www.wrayorganic.com.au
· The Meat-ting Place: Steve and Andrew, 107 La Trobe Terrace, Paddington (in the supermarket shopping complex) 33699522. Also at 97 Flockton St, McDowall 33538541
· Allsop and England: Old Cleveland Rd, Coorparoo (Opposite the Myer Megastore). 3397411
- City Cousin Meat: minimum order ¼ of beef appx 40 – 50kg, ½ Lamb 8 – 10 kg. Pick up on set delivery date from Clayfield. Further details contact: Judy Williams 0417 199 550 email@example.com
· Superior Meats: Barry O’Conner, 959 Logan Rd, Holland Park 33972743
· Northey St Markets – see markets
· MGM Mitchell Grass Meats – www.mitchellgrassmeats.com.au
· Inglewood Farm www.inglewoodfarms.com organic free-range chicken farm run by the Wylie Brothers on southern edge of the Darling Downs between Warwick and Goondiwindi in QLD.
· Mitchell Grass Meats www.mitchellgrassmeats.com.au Grass fed, Lamb & Beef from our chemical free, natural pastures in Western Queensland. Available in bulk home delivered.
· Alaringa email for regular newsletter firstname.lastname@example.org Beef, lamb, chicken, pork. At Northey St Markets.
Location of your closest fresh food market
· Northey St Organic markets: Saturday morning 6 – 10 am. Morning tea available. Directions – drive past the RBH hospital, past the service station, take the next left turn into Northey St, next left into Edgar St
· The Powerhouse markets: (Next to New Farm Park on the river behind the powerhouse theatre. Parking in Lamington St or walk through from New Farm Park.) 2nd and 4th Saturday’s
· The South bank markets: first and third Saturdays (alternate Saturday to the powerhouse market)
· Gold Coast Organic Markets Miami High School, Gold Coast Hwy Sundays 6:00am - 11:00am.
· Currumbin markets opposite the Bird Sanctuary 1st 3rd Saturday’s
· Marina Mirage markets Gold Coast. 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month 7:00am - 12:00pm.
· Eumundi markets Sunshine Coast Eumundi on Wednesdays and Saturdays
· Farmers’ market at Noosaville on the fourth Sunday of each mont
· Feeding Babies & Toddlers and Whole Food Health Seminars - Julie Phillips 38415999.
· Fermenting with Kefir cooking seminar, Palm Beach, Gold Coast - Abby Eagle 55764270.
· Fermenting with Kefir cooking seminar, Clayfield – Judy Williams, 0417 199 550.
· Sourdough, Cheese making, tempeh, tropical vegetables, Elisabeth Fekonia, Cooroy, Sunshine Coast 54426089
· Wholesome Breakfast and Vegetable cooking Seminars, Julie Phillips 38415999.
Health Food Stores - Sunshine coast
· Basically Organic Porter’s Lane, Nambour 54414112. (Including local raw goat’s milk.)
· Crystal Waters Artisan Bakery hand-made organic sourdough breads (5494 4779)
· Forest Glen Organic Butchery
· Mrs Flannery’s Maroochydore.
· Natural Food Store at Forest Glen
· Suncoast Healthfoods at Forest Glen
Health Food Stores - Gold Coast
· Celtic Organic Bakery: Shop 4, 19-21 Alicia St Southport. Mrs Flannery’s: Miami & Benowa
· Organic and Quality Foods: home delivery to Brisbane, Sunshine and the Gold Coast 32753552
· Totally Organic: Home delivery 1300 66 76 42
· Wray Organic: Oasis Shopping Centre, Broadbeach, 5592 1007 and 155/19th Ave Palm Beach